They like me! They really like me! Sorry for the bad Sally Field impersonation but I couldn’t help it. As a grown-up, it’s not every day you receive a gold star, or reddish/pinkish star, well, actually it’s more of a heart but…ya kn’mean. The “star” in question is the Liebster Award– an e-acknowledgment scheme that started mysteriously some time back and has circled the blogosphere as many times as it takes to walk to Pluto. (But they like me!!!) Basically it works like this: you share stuff about yourself and make a bunch of other bloggers do the same. Repeat until we run out of energy sources and/or people who can type. 🙂
Of course, none of this on-line admiration would be possible without the blogger who nominated me. Therefore, I’d like to give a big “thank you” to Louise at louslabyrinth.com for her kindness in selecting this blog. She’s a sweetie, folks, so please visit her site & give her lots of likes!
But now, without further quacking, the envelope, please.
Eleven Facts About Me (That You Probably Could Have Lived Without Knowing But Oh Well):
1. Ran for governor of California against Arnold Schwarzenegger (and many others). I lost. (Thank goodness!)*
2. Love to travel. Love to come back and plan more trips.
3. Share space with one husband, one daughter, two cats and five ducks. Spend a disproportionate time cleaning up after all of them. 😉
4. Have led a very interesting life including forays into motocross, opera, film-making, wellness and food. And, yes, that’s “interesting” in the “may you lead an interesting life” Chinese curse kind of way, too.
5. My daughter makes me a much better person than I could ever be without her. **
6. Played “Dungeons & Dragons” in college. I was the Dungeon Master. (Natch.)
7. Went to Long Beach Island (NJ) for day trips as a child. Can still taste the ketchup on the French fries.
8. Love any form of public transportation. Used to take the bus in L.A. On purpose.
9. Want to change the world, one good meal at a time. (Slogan: Mo’ Better Food 4 All.)
10. Rarely use a cell phone any more.
11. Would like to thank my husband for supporting this blog and for eating pretty much anything I make (even when he has to add barbecue sauce).
*This will be in my obituary, for sure. Possibly, also on my tombstone.
**Lots more work to be done, of course!
Answers to Lou’s Questions:
1. What is your favourite colour? Red. Why? Intensity, maybe?
2. Where is your favourite place in the world? This is completely cliché but c’est la vie: Paris. Why? I feel alive in the best possible ways when I’m there.
3. What is your first memory that you can remember? Trying to climb out of my crib.
4. If you had to live on one food for the rest of your life what would you choose? Easy-peasy: Chocolate. Unless climate change nixes that.
5. Do you have any pets? What are their names? Can we see a picture?
Yes, seven (!) if poultry can be pets (and why not? I have the vet bills to prove it!)
6. Has a movie ever made a massive impact on your life? There are many but Terry Gilliam’s “Brazil” left indelible marks on me as a young artist. Why? It’s brilliant, terrifying and now feels all too real.
7. What are your hobbies? Reading and catnaps. Everything else is work. (But I love to work.)
8. What is your favourite holiday so far? Taking the overnight train to Rome with my daughter, staying one day in a lovely hotel at a discount Internet rate, then introducing her to all of the city’s many marvels. Gelato included. And where is your dream destination? OK, my dream destination is a bit offbeat: Godthab, Greenland. Because I always see it on that moving map they show on the TV screens when you’re crossing the Atlantic. Since I’m usually half-awake, it seems like a mythical place.
9. How would you describe your style? Independent. And who’s style do you love? Cary Grant.
10. Describe yourself in one word. Strong.
11. What is your favourite feature on yourself? Voice. Is that a feature?
My nominations for this award (in no particular order—I tried to choose peeps who didn’t appear to have been nominated before):
[Note: Please consider this a simple acknowledgment of good work–no obligation, no pressure!]
Questions for the nominees:
1. How old were you when you got your first piece of electronics?
2. What do you want to be when you grow up?
3. If you were a country, which one would it be?
4. If you could change your first name, what would you change it to & why?
5. How many times a week do you go for a walk for fun?
6. What’s your favorite food?
7. Hot or cold?
8. Can you cook? If not, why?
9. What’s your favorite planet?
10. Have you ever dyed your hair?
11. Beach, city, mountain or desert?
Thanks again, Louise, for all your support! Good luck to everyone!
Copyright 2013, Lori Fontanes